Yesterday while performing some maintenance on our internal Gemini website I ran into an error where the default.aspx page would redirect to the main.aspx page and then the main.aspx page would redirect to the default.aspx page. This loop would continue until windows gave me the classic DNS error page. Looking at the log files I see that the Default.aspx page is issuing a 401 (unauthorized) and then main is issuing a 302 (Redirect). Others have had this problem as well (but with a previous version), but their fix didnt work for me.
I didnt make any changes to the configuration, we just made a dns adjustment. Once the error started occuring we rolled back the change in our dns in attempt to eliminate the error. *NOPE* Didnt work. The redirect loop still existed.
We tried everything from changing security settings, to adjusting config file, rebooting servers, flushing DNS, everything. Nothing worked. The thing is, prior to this errror, we never made any code changes or configuration changes.
I’m still baffled by what happened, but how I ended up fixing it is by uninstalling the Gemini application *note: copy your .config file to your local machine before doing this. You’ll want it later*. After uninstalling I reinstalled it, and then updated the config file with values that were from the old config file.
I fired up the app through the browser and it works.
Its one of the strangest things I’ve seen in awhile, but at least its fixed. But the worst part is that it took 4 hours with help from our network team to troubleshoot and when it came down to it, we just had to reinstall. Not the desired method, but still, its an internal app only used by 10 people (max) so it wasnt that big of a deal.